‘Why would Arsenal buy when Gervinho is the best player at the Afcon?’
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted there was no point in trying to strengthen his squad in January given the club’s own Cote d`Ivoire international Gervinho has been the best player at the Africa Cup of Nations.
The Gunners, who currently sit sixth in the Premier League and four points short of fourth, added only left-back Nacho Monreal to their squad during the winter transfer window.
But, despite running the risk of missing out on Champions League qualification, the Frenchman claimed that securing top talent in the middle of the season is too difficult - even with the opportunity to scout at the Africa Cup of Nations available to him.
He told reporters: "We worked very hard on it, we were everywhere. I would have loved to take somebody else but we didn`t find anyone.”
"In the Africa Cup of Nations, the best player is Gervinho. It`s simple. Why should we go there when the best player is Gervinho? We already have Gervinho.
"Manchester United, who did they buy? Chelsea, who did they buy? Liverpool bought. Man City didn`t buy – for one single reason.
“For the top, top, top clubs, it`s difficult to strengthen your team in the middle of the season."
Gervinho is set to return from the tournament this week after Cote d`Ivoire saw their Afcon dreams ended by a 2-1 quarter-final defeat to Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi