‘Why would Arsenal buy when Gervinho is the best player at the Afcon?’
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted there was no point in trying to strengthen his squad in January given the club’s own Cote d`Ivoire international Gervinho has been the best player at the Africa Cup of Nations.
The Gunners, who currently sit sixth in the Premier League and four points short of fourth, added only left-back Nacho Monreal to their squad during the winter transfer window.
But, despite running the risk of missing out on Champions League qualification, the Frenchman claimed that securing top talent in the middle of the season is too difficult - even with the opportunity to scout at the Africa Cup of Nations available to him.
He told reporters: "We worked very hard on it, we were everywhere. I would have loved to take somebody else but we didn`t find anyone.”
"In the Africa Cup of Nations, the best player is Gervinho. It`s simple. Why should we go there when the best player is Gervinho? We already have Gervinho.
"Manchester United, who did they buy? Chelsea, who did they buy? Liverpool bought. Man City didn`t buy – for one single reason.
“For the top, top, top clubs, it`s difficult to strengthen your team in the middle of the season."
Gervinho is set to return from the tournament this week after Cote d`Ivoire saw their Afcon dreams ended by a 2-1 quarter-final defeat to Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row