‘Why would Arsenal buy when Gervinho is the best player at the Afcon?’
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted there was no point in trying to strengthen his squad in January given the club’s own Cote d`Ivoire international Gervinho has been the best player at the Africa Cup of Nations.
The Gunners, who currently sit sixth in the Premier League and four points short of fourth, added only left-back Nacho Monreal to their squad during the winter transfer window.
But, despite running the risk of missing out on Champions League qualification, the Frenchman claimed that securing top talent in the middle of the season is too difficult - even with the opportunity to scout at the Africa Cup of Nations available to him.
He told reporters: "We worked very hard on it, we were everywhere. I would have loved to take somebody else but we didn`t find anyone.”
"In the Africa Cup of Nations, the best player is Gervinho. It`s simple. Why should we go there when the best player is Gervinho? We already have Gervinho.
"Manchester United, who did they buy? Chelsea, who did they buy? Liverpool bought. Man City didn`t buy – for one single reason.
“For the top, top, top clubs, it`s difficult to strengthen your team in the middle of the season."
Gervinho is set to return from the tournament this week after Cote d`Ivoire saw their Afcon dreams ended by a 2-1 quarter-final defeat to Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?