Wigan Athletic stun Manchester City in FA cup final
London: Wigan Athletic secured one of the biggest upsets in modern FA Cup history after beating Manchester City 1-0 in the final.
Ben Watson’s header a minute into added time sent the 23,000 Latics fans into ecstasy as they watched their team go on to win the Cup for the first time.
Given the disparity in the resources of the two clubs, with City’s super-rich status in stark contrast to Wigan as one of the Premier League minnows, the achievement of Roberto Martinez’s team in overcoming the sky blues will go down as the biggest FA Cup shock since Wimbledon beat Liverpool in 1988.
The outcome hinged upon two decisive moments late in what had been a generally flat match. In the 84th minute, City right-back was sent off after collecting a second yellow card for a wayward tackle on man-of-the-match Callum McManaman.
Sensing this could be their opening, Wigan threw men forward and created a series of set-piece openings.
With two of the three minutes of added time remaining, Shaun Maloney’s whipped-in corner from the right was met by substitute Watson, who wrote himself into Wigan folklore by rising above Jack Rodwell and powering an unstoppable header past Joe Hart to stun a rain-soaked Wembley.
With the dark blue flags flying high in the grey north London sky, it was a thrilling end to what had been a generally tepid encounter.
City had begun the match as strong favourites but this was a forgettable display from the 2011 champions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today