Wilshere & Ramsey head five Arsenal stars given five-year deals worth £71.2m
London: The pair are set to be joined by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson in penning improved deals that will tie quintet to club until 2018
Arsenal are close to announcing that a core of five British players have signed new five-year contracts with the club worth a staggering £71.2 million.
Jack Wilshere will join Aaron Ramsey, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carl Jenkinson and Kieran Gibbs in the New Year in agreeing an improved deal that ties each of the players to Emirates Stadium until 2018.
Goal.com has learned that Arsenal will invest at least £71.2m in the youthful home-grown quintet over the lengths of the agreements.
Ramsey, 21, Gibbs, 23, Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, and Jenkinson, 20, have already agreed vastly improved terms on new contracts and they will soon be joined by club talisman Wilshere, 20, who revealed in an interview last week that he is close to signing a fresh deal.
Wilshere said: “I’m talking to the club and I will probably be committing my future to them in the next couple of weeks.”
Sources have said that Welshman Ramsey has agreed a three-year extension to his current agreement, which expires in 2015, that will increase his salary to a basic £60,000-a-week.
England internationals Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gibbs have been tied up on £52,000-a-week deals, while Jenkinson’s five-year contract is worth £25,000-a-week.
Wilshere is set to follow suit by penning an £85,000-a-week contract that will take the standard-bearer of the new generation into the top bracket of earners at Emirates Stadium. Wilshere’s current deal, signed in 2010, is worth £52,000-a-week.
The quintet’s deals will all be topped up by performance-related bonuses for appearances, goals and clean sheets.
Arsenal plan to announce the contracts for the five Britons all together early in the new year when Wilshere puts pen to paper.
The club regards the commitment to the current crop of emerging stars as a significant coup, given the recent departures of Robin van Persie, Alex Song, Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, and the doubt surrounding the future of Theo Walcott, whose contract expires next summer.
The investment in Wilshere (£22.1m), Ramsey (£15.6m), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gibbs (both £13.5m) and Jenkinson (£6.5m) amounts to £71.2m over the lengths of their contracts and will be potentially worth tens of millions of pounds more depending on the success of the players and the team.
However, there could be disquiet in some quarters at Arsenal, who lie eighth in the Premier League ahead of Monday night`s trip to bottom-club Reading and were knocked out of the Capital One Cup by League Two side Bradford City last week, rewarding potential rather than performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'