Wilshere excited by prospect of Higuain & Rooney joining Arsenal
London: Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has admitted he is excited by rumours the club are looking to sign Gonzalo Higuain and Wayne Rooney this summer.
Goal revealed in June the Gunners were close to sealing a deal for the Real Madrid striker and Rooney recently admitted he is open to a move to the Emirates Stadium as Arsene Wenger looks to build a side that can challenge for the Premier League title.
"I`ve never played against [Higuain] but anyone who plays for Real Madrid and Argentina has to be quality," Wilshere told ESPN.
Regarding a move for England team-mate Rooney, Wilshere said: "If it happens, it would be amazing. He`s the type of player who can win you trophies. And just to see his name on the team sheet brings fear to the opposition. We could do with a little more of that.
Arsenal launched a late-season surge for the second season running to again usurp rivals Tottenham to the final Champions League qualification spot on the final day of the campaign.
While Wilshere accepts it was vital the Gunners secured their place amongst Europe`s elite, the 21-year-old is keen for the club to challenge for major honours and believes players in the mould of Higuain will help the cause.
He said: "You look at the type of players like Higuain we`re trying to bring in and you`ve got to be encouraged. I think we need a few more, not to step right into the team but to add to the squad.
"We need our squad to be as deep as United`s and City`s. They can change their back four completely and still win. There`s no way United would have won the Premier League trophy with 18 players.
"It`s no secret we need to win a trophy. How long has it been now, seven or eight years? The players feel the pressure and we`ve gotten close a few times like with the Carling Cup a couple of years ago. I think once we win one, others will follow."
Wilshere returned to first-team football midway through last season following an injury-induced 17-month absence.
Despite making 33 appearances for Arsenal, the midfielder underwent ankle surgery in May in an attempt to solve lingering ankle, heel and foot troubles and he insists he is now ready for the 2013-14 season.
"I`m really looking forward to having a solid pre-season," Wilshere continued. "I haven`t had one in two years and once you miss it, you`re always playing catch-up.
"It`s a chance to show the manager that you deserve to be in the team and I think there`s going to be competition for a few spots. But that`s a good thing.
"If you`re going to challenge for trophies, you need a big squad. You can`t expect 11 players to do it every week."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video