Winning Premier League with Liverpool will be a miracle: Steven Gerrard
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has admitted he needs a "miracle" to lead his side to a Premier League title before the end of his career.
The Reds finished second in 2008-09 with a points total of 86 that would have won the league in several other seasons, but have never come as close in Gerrard`s tenure as skipper.
With the Manchester clubs and Chelsea all strengthening in the summer, the 32-year-old realises his hopes of bringing the title to Merseyside are unlikely to happen, especially with other up-and-coming rivals also hungry for success.
"It will be a miracle if I now realise my dream of winning the title with Liverpool," he said in his recently published autobiography My Liverpool Story.
"I say that because of my age and where we have finished in the league the past couple of years. And also the situation we`re in with the rivalries.
"There`s not just United and Arsenal now but City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Newcastle coming as well. The Premier League has become a lot more difficult to win for everyone."
Despite Liverpool`s fine 5-2 win at Norwich on Saturday, their poor early-season form has already led to an 11-point gap between themselves and league leaders Chelsea, which may prove to be too large a deficit for Brendan Rodgers` side to claw back.
However, Gerrard claims that, with improvements, the club will be capable of challenging for a Champions League qualifying position by the end of the season.
He added: "We were eighth last year. If this season goes well, we get a bit of luck and improve, we have an outside, no, a 50-50 chance of being in the top four. That`s being realistic. It`s achievable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends