Wolfsburg beats Freiburg 3-2 in Bundesliga
Frankfurt (Germany): Petr Jiracek scored two goals as Wolfsburg edged out bottom-place Freiburg 3-2 in the Bundesliga on Friday.
Freiburg twice came back to level but had no answer with Jiracek’s second goal in the 61st minute proving to be the winner.
“Freiburg was the better team and were unfortunate to lose,” Wolfsburg coach Felix Magath said. “It’s a mystery to me why we lose confidence even when we go ahead.”
The game was held in freezing weather and light snowfall, and it got off to a fast start with Jiracek putting the home side ahead after five minutes, having been left unmarked at the far post after a corner.
Johannes Flum leveled in the 11th, taking advantage of a deflection that fell his way. Three minutes later, Marcel Schaefer made it 2-1 for Wolfsburg after a back-heeled pass from Giovanni Sio.
Daniel Caligiuri leveled again in the 38th, curling the ball inside the far post from the left side of the penalty area.
Jiracek’s second sealed Wolfsburg’s seventh home victory, his left-foot shot from the edge of the box taking a slight deflection off Fallou Diagne.
Jiracek was one of Magath’s half a dozen new signings in midseason.
“We made our own life difficult because we made many mistakes in the defense,” Wolfsburg goalkeeper Diego Benaglio said.
Freiburg played well and could have earned a draw had Caligiuri not shot wide from a good late chance. Now, the team faces an uphill struggle to avoid relegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145