Wolfsburg break losing streak in Bundesliga
Gelsenkirchen: Edin Dzeko scored twice in the second half for VfL Wolfsburg to give the reigning champions a 2-1 victory at Schalke 04 in a Bundesliga match on Friday.
The victory sees the club from northern Germany avoiding making history by becoming the first reigning champion to lose four games in a row.
The goal for the team now coached by Felix Magath, who last year led Wolfsburg to their first-ever championship, was scored by Benedikt Hoewedes.
Neither side managed to score in the first half although last season’s top scorer Grafite had a golden opportunity for Wolfsburg, but slid past a ball played into the centre by Sascha Riether.
Shortly afterwards Schalke players had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down after Wolfsburg captain Josua brought down Rafinha in the area, but the referee waved play on.
Dzeko finally broke the deadlock in the 55th minute with a well-taken header after a Wolfsburg corner to score his first goal of the season.
The home side then threw caution to wind and pushed forward in search of an equalizer, which they scored ten minutes from the end through Hoewedes, whose header after a corner gave goalkeeper Andre Lenz no chance.
But even before the stadium announcer had finished announcing the name of the scorer, Dzeko restored the visitors’ lead after being set up Makoto Hasebe.
Former Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi thought he had levelled matters again when his header crashed against the upright and then seemed to cross the line, but the referee again waved play on.
The win sees Armin Veh’s side move to five in the table on nine points, while Schalke remain third on ten.
Table-topping SV Hamburg and second-placed Bayer Leverkusen are on 13 points ahead of their games on the weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what