Woman boss walks away from Clermont job
Portugal`s Helena Costa said on Tuesday she had decided against taking up the coaching position at French side Clermont for "purely personal" reasons.
The 36-year-old Costa made global headlines as the first woman to take charge of a men`s professional team in a leading European nation after being named in May to coach Clermont, who play in France`s second tier.
But club president CLaude Michy took everyone aback on Monday with the sudden announcement that the ground-breaking deal had fallen through.
Costa appeared alongside Michy at a press conference at the club`s Stade Gabriel Montpied on Tuesday, but would only say that personal considerations had been behind her decision to step away from the job.
She said that she had explained her decision in private to Michy and that she would have no further comnments to make.
Michy, however, called Costa`s decision "astonishing, surprising, incomprehensible."
"She simply said: `I am leaving`, and we were not able to get her to change her mind. She takes her secret with her.
"She had developed a problem of confidence in the situation, but I have no idea what it was that caused this.
"Now we look again to the future. The club has a solid structure and we wiil hire another coach - male or female."
Clermont are a modest club from a city where rugby dominates, and they came 14th in Ligue 2 last season, while playing to average crowds of less than 4,000.
When announcing her appointment last month, Michy had been forced to dismiss suggestions that his move for Costa, who has a UEFA A coaching licence and a Masters degree in sports science, was a publicity stint and said that he had "chosen a coach first and foremost, not a woman".
Costa was previously a youth coach at Lisbon giants Benfica before winning a regional league title with Portuguese amateur club Cheleirense.
Since then Costa has had spells coaching the women`s teams of both Qatar and Iran, and was also a scout for Scottish giants Celtic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok