Woman boss walks away from Clermont job
Portugal`s Helena Costa said on Tuesday she had decided against taking up the coaching position at French side Clermont for "purely personal" reasons.
The 36-year-old Costa made global headlines as the first woman to take charge of a men`s professional team in a leading European nation after being named in May to coach Clermont, who play in France`s second tier.
But club president CLaude Michy took everyone aback on Monday with the sudden announcement that the ground-breaking deal had fallen through.
Costa appeared alongside Michy at a press conference at the club`s Stade Gabriel Montpied on Tuesday, but would only say that personal considerations had been behind her decision to step away from the job.
She said that she had explained her decision in private to Michy and that she would have no further comnments to make.
Michy, however, called Costa`s decision "astonishing, surprising, incomprehensible."
"She simply said: `I am leaving`, and we were not able to get her to change her mind. She takes her secret with her.
"She had developed a problem of confidence in the situation, but I have no idea what it was that caused this.
"Now we look again to the future. The club has a solid structure and we wiil hire another coach - male or female."
Clermont are a modest club from a city where rugby dominates, and they came 14th in Ligue 2 last season, while playing to average crowds of less than 4,000.
When announcing her appointment last month, Michy had been forced to dismiss suggestions that his move for Costa, who has a UEFA A coaching licence and a Masters degree in sports science, was a publicity stint and said that he had "chosen a coach first and foremost, not a woman".
Costa was previously a youth coach at Lisbon giants Benfica before winning a regional league title with Portuguese amateur club Cheleirense.
Since then Costa has had spells coaching the women`s teams of both Qatar and Iran, and was also a scout for Scottish giants Celtic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections