Woman referee Maria Rebello set to officiate in I-League
New Delhi: Woman football referee Maria Rebello is set to create history as she has been named to officiate in the upcoming I-League season by the All India Football Federation.
In a historic decision, the AIFF`s Referees` Committee today included Maria as the first-ever woman referee in the Panel of Referees for the 2013-14 season of the I-League.
Maria`s name was proposed by the I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee which approved the list of probable referees for the upcoming season. She has been officiating matches in the second division I-League and also the Goa Professional League in the recent past.
Maria, a former India captain, is among the AFC Panel of Elite Referees and has also officiated in the Santosh Trophy.
Congratulating Maria, Gulab Chauhan, Chairman I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee, said,
"This is a historic decision taken by us in acknowledgement of her performance. She has earned it through her dedication. This will certainly bring in new confidence among Women Referees in India. We wish her all the best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi