Woman referee Maria Rebello set to officiate in I-League
New Delhi: Woman football referee Maria Rebello is set to create history as she has been named to officiate in the upcoming I-League season by the All India Football Federation.
In a historic decision, the AIFF`s Referees` Committee today included Maria as the first-ever woman referee in the Panel of Referees for the 2013-14 season of the I-League.
Maria`s name was proposed by the I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee which approved the list of probable referees for the upcoming season. She has been officiating matches in the second division I-League and also the Goa Professional League in the recent past.
Maria, a former India captain, is among the AFC Panel of Elite Referees and has also officiated in the Santosh Trophy.
Congratulating Maria, Gulab Chauhan, Chairman I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee, said,
"This is a historic decision taken by us in acknowledgement of her performance. She has earned it through her dedication. This will certainly bring in new confidence among Women Referees in India. We wish her all the best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery