Woman referee Maria Rebello set to officiate in I-League
New Delhi: Woman football referee Maria Rebello is set to create history as she has been named to officiate in the upcoming I-League season by the All India Football Federation.
In a historic decision, the AIFF`s Referees` Committee today included Maria as the first-ever woman referee in the Panel of Referees for the 2013-14 season of the I-League.
Maria`s name was proposed by the I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee which approved the list of probable referees for the upcoming season. She has been officiating matches in the second division I-League and also the Goa Professional League in the recent past.
Maria, a former India captain, is among the AFC Panel of Elite Referees and has also officiated in the Santosh Trophy.
Congratulating Maria, Gulab Chauhan, Chairman I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee, said,
"This is a historic decision taken by us in acknowledgement of her performance. She has earned it through her dedication. This will certainly bring in new confidence among Women Referees in India. We wish her all the best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!