Woman referee Maria Rebello set to officiate in I-League
New Delhi: Woman football referee Maria Rebello is set to create history as she has been named to officiate in the upcoming I-League season by the All India Football Federation.
In a historic decision, the AIFF`s Referees` Committee today included Maria as the first-ever woman referee in the Panel of Referees for the 2013-14 season of the I-League.
Maria`s name was proposed by the I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee which approved the list of probable referees for the upcoming season. She has been officiating matches in the second division I-League and also the Goa Professional League in the recent past.
Maria, a former India captain, is among the AFC Panel of Elite Referees and has also officiated in the Santosh Trophy.
Congratulating Maria, Gulab Chauhan, Chairman I-League Referees Appointment Advisory Committee, said,
"This is a historic decision taken by us in acknowledgement of her performance. She has earned it through her dedication. This will certainly bring in new confidence among Women Referees in India. We wish her all the best."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray