2014 FIFA World Cup: Costa Rica vs England - Preview
Belo Horizonte (Brazil): Costa Rica will look to resume writing history and surprising theoretically bigger teams when they meet England at the Estadio Minerao in the FIFA World Cup here Tuesday.
`Ticos`, who defeated former champions Uruguay 3-1 and Italy 1-0, have guaranteed qualification to the Round of 16 for the second time in history, after Italy 1990. They only need a draw in order to top Group B regardless of the result in the other match between Italy and Uruguay, reports EFE.
However, they were surprised after seven of their players were drug tested after their win over the `Azzurri` which FIFA described as a “routine procedure” and not out of suspicion.
“Mourinho, one of my favourite coaches, said that we cannot surprise big teams twice. He shouldn’t say this again because we might play three or four matches,” said Costa Rica’s Colombian coach Jorge Luis Pinto.
On the other hand, England coach Roy Hogdson admitted his failure to lead the team into the second round after two consecutive 1-2 losses to Italy and Uruguay. This is the first time the `Three Lions` have been eliminated from the first round since 1958.
Hogdson hoped that the young players in the current team become an integral part of the side for a bright future and give better results in the Euro 2016 qualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof