2014 FIFA World Cup: France vs Germany - Preview
Zee Media Bureau/Dattaraj Thaly
Rio de Janeiro: France take on Germany in the first quarter-final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup at the historic Estadio Maracana in Rio de Janeiro. Both teams are undefeated in the tournament so far. The powerhouses of European football have had a very similar journey to the quarter-finals.
Germany were part of one of the toughest groups this year. They thrashed Portugal 4-0 in the first match, drew 2-2 with Ghana in the second match and beat USA 1-0 in their last group game. They topped the group and earned a clash with Algeria in the knock-out round. The Germans required extra time to beat Algeria 2-1, thus making their way into the quarters.
France too won their Group E. They eased past Honduras 3-0 in the first game. Then drubbed Switzerland 5-2 and then drew 0-0 with Ecuador to book a place in the knock-out round against Nigeria. Like Germany, France needed extra time to get past Nigeria 2-0 and make their way into the quarters.
Despite starting the tournament on a high, the German performance has gone down several notches as the tournament has progressed. Instead of hitting top gear, they have laboured their way past USA and Algeria in their last two matches. Former German captains have criticised their performance and asked them to up their game against France.
Thomas Muller has been the main source of goals for Germany in the tournament. Their midfield has generally been solid throughout the tournament and it remains their biggest strength. Mats Hummels remains a doubt for the game against France. His replacement, Shkodran Mustafi has been ruled out of the World Cup with an injury he picked up against Algeria. What would be more worrying is that Bastian Schweinsteiger limped off the game against Algeria, holding his troubled knee in extra-time.
France do not have any injuries to worry about. France have quietly gone about their business with no hype surrounding their squad post the exit of Franck Ribery. Young Paul Pogba, whose header helped France beat Nigeria has been impressive. Karim Benzema has looked out of sorts after his great showing in the first two group games.
Didier Deschamps has ingrained a problem-solving ability in this team. France have shown a very important quality that big teams have – patience. They have slowly worn out teams and played their best football in the second half of games. France have done enough in every game to get the desired result and that is the most dangerous quality of this side.
With two giants of Europe, coming head to head, the first quarter-final promises to be a cracking affair. Both teams have glaring weaknesses at the back and are flamboyant in attack. With such attacking flair on both sides, this match has all the makings of a classic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination