2014 FIFA World Cup: Iran hold Nigeria to 0-0 draw
Curitiba: Nigeria and Iran played out the first draw of the 2014 World Cup in a drab 0-0 affair in Curitiba on Monday.
Also see: * Iran vs Nigeria in Pics
A tournament that had been spoiling fans in Brazil with goals and excitement was due a dull match and these two sides delivered on that.
Nigeria -- who are now winless in nine World Cup matches, a longer streak than anyone else in the competition -- did have the ball in the net early in the first half after a scramble in the box but it was ruled out for a foul on goalkeeper Alireza Haghighi.
The point did few favours to either side in a group that also contains Argentina, who beat Bosnia 2-1 on Sunday.
Both African champions Nigeria and Iran will now likely need to beat European debutants Bosnia if they are to harbour hopes of reaching the last 16.
Iran`s best chance came 10 minutes before haqlf-time when Reza Ghoochanhejhad headed goalwards from Ashkan Dejagah`s corner but Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama made a reaction block on his line.
Emmanuel Emenike cut an isolated figure up front for the Super Eagles, who enjoyed 70 percent of the possession despite rarely threatening, while substitute Shola Ameobi headed just wide with a diving effort, only to be call up for a foul anyway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’