2014 FIFA World Cup: Iran hold Nigeria to 0-0 draw
Curitiba: Nigeria and Iran played out the first draw of the 2014 World Cup in a drab 0-0 affair in Curitiba on Monday.
Also see: * Iran vs Nigeria in Pics
A tournament that had been spoiling fans in Brazil with goals and excitement was due a dull match and these two sides delivered on that.
Nigeria -- who are now winless in nine World Cup matches, a longer streak than anyone else in the competition -- did have the ball in the net early in the first half after a scramble in the box but it was ruled out for a foul on goalkeeper Alireza Haghighi.
The point did few favours to either side in a group that also contains Argentina, who beat Bosnia 2-1 on Sunday.
Both African champions Nigeria and Iran will now likely need to beat European debutants Bosnia if they are to harbour hopes of reaching the last 16.
Iran`s best chance came 10 minutes before haqlf-time when Reza Ghoochanhejhad headed goalwards from Ashkan Dejagah`s corner but Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama made a reaction block on his line.
Emmanuel Emenike cut an isolated figure up front for the Super Eagles, who enjoyed 70 percent of the possession despite rarely threatening, while substitute Shola Ameobi headed just wide with a diving effort, only to be call up for a foul anyway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter