Argentina `played its heart out` to advance
Brasilia: Argentina`s national team has "played its heart out" to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Brazil World Cup, reports in the national media said.
The Argentine team defeated Switzerland 1-0 in a tough match Tuesday that saw a late goal by Real de Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria, with an assist from star footballer Lionel Messi, reports Xinhua.
Di Maria was in all the headlines Wednesday, along with a photograph of the footballer celebrating his hard-won goal by making the figure of a heart with his hands in a dedication to his daughter Mia.
"All heart", ran the headline in the daily Clarin, which noted the team "had its share of luck in the final minute", when a header by Switzerland`s Blerim Dzemaili, which would have tied the two, bounced off the goalpost instead.
The team "played its heart out", said daily La Nacion, adding the Sao Paulo match was "filled with anxiety and excitement".
The team "played better than Switzerland, but it lacked game," the daily added.
Sports daily Ole summed up the exhilarating game in two words: "Heart Attack," saying "the entire country was on the verge of one and celebrated the dramatic advance to the quarterfinals like crazy."
Argentina plays Belgium Saturday in Brasilia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight