Bad food confiscated from Italy, England World Cup hotels
Brazilian health and safety officials raided the England and Italy team hotels for next month`s World Cup and confiscated fish, butter, ham and other food past their sell-by dates.
More than 50 kilograms of food deemed unfit for consumption was taken from the Portobello Hotel where Italy will stay and another 2kg was removed from England`s Hotel Royal Tulip. Both hotels are in Rio de Janeiro.
As part of a wider campaign by the `State Secretariat for the Defense and Protection of Consumers`, officials visited 13 restaurants, supermarkets, bakeries, shops and hotels, and notified eight of them for irregularities.
“In total, 218kg of food unfit for consumption was discarded,” the Secretariat said in a statement.
One of the biggest raids came on Monday at Italy’s hotel in Mangaratiba, just outside the city of Rio. Officials there discovered 25kg of seafood and margarine past the sell by date, and another 24kg of meat, sauces, cheese and sugar that had no visible sell-by date.
They also removed 2.6kg of salmon, parma ham and butterafter visiting England’s hotel.
Both hotels were also warned for not providing condoms to guests, as is required under Brazilian law.
Agents also visited the Hotel Caesar Park where the Netherlands squad will be based but found no irregularities there.
Thirty-two teams will take part in the World Cup next month, the first to be held in Brazil since 1950. Many of them will bring their own food and their own chefs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM