Belgian queen mistakenly congratulates Lukaku for goal
Brasilia: Belgian Queen Mathilde embarrassingly mixed up Belgium`s strikers after the country`s 1-0 victory over Russia on Sunday, congratulating Romelu Lukaku for scoring the winning goal.
Lukaku made way after almost an hour for goalscorer, 19-year-old Divock Origi, brushing off the offered hand of coach Marc Wilmots and muttering angrily on the bench.
Video of the royal encounter was shown by Dutch-language broadcaster VRT late on Monday evening.
King Philippe and Mathilde were introduced to the players at a reception after the World Cup match in Rio de Janeiro. Lukaku had by that point calmed down.
"Bravo, really. And it`s for you, the goal too," she said as she arrived at Lukaku.
"No, he`s over there," Lukaku responded, pointing towards Origi.
"Well in any case you played very well," concluded the queen.
Belgian daily De Standaard reported that the queen had later apologised for her slip-up, explaining to journalists travelling on her plane back to Belgium that her confusion was caused because Lukaku used to have dread locks.
"He surprised me by having cut his hair," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY