Belgian queen mistakenly congratulates Lukaku for goal
Brasilia: Belgian Queen Mathilde embarrassingly mixed up Belgium`s strikers after the country`s 1-0 victory over Russia on Sunday, congratulating Romelu Lukaku for scoring the winning goal.
Lukaku made way after almost an hour for goalscorer, 19-year-old Divock Origi, brushing off the offered hand of coach Marc Wilmots and muttering angrily on the bench.
Video of the royal encounter was shown by Dutch-language broadcaster VRT late on Monday evening.
King Philippe and Mathilde were introduced to the players at a reception after the World Cup match in Rio de Janeiro. Lukaku had by that point calmed down.
"Bravo, really. And it`s for you, the goal too," she said as she arrived at Lukaku.
"No, he`s over there," Lukaku responded, pointing towards Origi.
"Well in any case you played very well," concluded the queen.
Belgian daily De Standaard reported that the queen had later apologised for her slip-up, explaining to journalists travelling on her plane back to Belgium that her confusion was caused because Lukaku used to have dread locks.
"He surprised me by having cut his hair," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'