Belgian queen mistakenly congratulates Lukaku for goal
Brasilia: Belgian Queen Mathilde embarrassingly mixed up Belgium`s strikers after the country`s 1-0 victory over Russia on Sunday, congratulating Romelu Lukaku for scoring the winning goal.
Lukaku made way after almost an hour for goalscorer, 19-year-old Divock Origi, brushing off the offered hand of coach Marc Wilmots and muttering angrily on the bench.
Video of the royal encounter was shown by Dutch-language broadcaster VRT late on Monday evening.
King Philippe and Mathilde were introduced to the players at a reception after the World Cup match in Rio de Janeiro. Lukaku had by that point calmed down.
"Bravo, really. And it`s for you, the goal too," she said as she arrived at Lukaku.
"No, he`s over there," Lukaku responded, pointing towards Origi.
"Well in any case you played very well," concluded the queen.
Belgian daily De Standaard reported that the queen had later apologised for her slip-up, explaining to journalists travelling on her plane back to Belgium that her confusion was caused because Lukaku used to have dread locks.
"He surprised me by having cut his hair," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi