Benzema on target as France hit eight past Jamaica
Karim Benzema, Blaise Matuidi and Antoine Griezmann each scored twice as France romped to an 8-0 victory over Jamaica on Sunday in their final World Cup warm-up game.
While Jamaica barely put up any serious opposition, the result was a welcome boost for Didier Deschamps` team two days after star striker Franck Ribery withdrew with a back injury.
Real Madrid`s Benzema and Paris St Germain`s Matuidi scored a goal in each half of the festive farewell to 49,000 French fans at the Lille stadium.
Benzema had a spectacular night. His first goal was a curling shot from the corner of the penalty area. The second was also a shot from the edge of the area past hapless Jamaica goalkeeper Jacomeno Barrett. He also hit the post and made two goals.
"It was good for our confidence to score and to win," Benzema said after. "We are doing well."
Griezmann, one candidate to take Ribery`s place, came on as a second half substitute and scored twice in 12 minutes. Yohan Cabaye and Arsenal`s Olivier Giroud, the other candidate to partner Benzema, scored the other goals.
Southampton`s Morgan Schneiderlin, called into the squad after injuries to Ribery and midfielder Clement Grenier, came on for the final three minutes to get his first cap.
France play their first World Cup game against Honduras in Group E on June 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak