Brazil deserved penalty and win: Fred
Brazil striker Fred insisted Friday that Japanese referee Yuichi Nishimura was right to give a controversial penalty in their opening World Cup win over Croatia.
The kick, converted by Neymar, set Brazil on the way to a 3-1 win, but unleashed a storm after Nishimura ruled Croatian defender Dejan Lovren had pushed Fred.
"It was clearly a penalty," said Fred, pointing out FIFA`s refereeing commission chief had seen an apparent shove. Television replays indicated little contact between Lovren and the Brazil centre forward.
"There`s no such thing as a more or less penalty," Fred said in a video statement on the Brazilian Football Confederation website. The striker said that after receiving the ball and trying to turn "I felt a weight on my shoulder and the ball went beyond my reach."
"I lost my balance and fell," he explained, adding a similar situation had arisen in Brazil`s warm-up match against Serbia.
On that occasion, he recalled he managed, while going to ground, to hook the ball into the net.
Brazil deserved their win, Fred said.
"We`re not going to let people take the shine off our win which was well-deserved, though very difficult, because the Selecao deserved this victory."
The Fluminense forward said Brazil had to come through some "nervous moments" and wanted to thank the fans "who backed us from start to finish."
He added that neither social tensions before the World Cup nor the penalty controversy would distract Brazil from their quest to win a sixth title.
"Everyone is very well prepared -- nothing will muddy our focus here," he said.
Argentininan legend Diego Maradona earlier blasted the spotkick award as "a gift -- but then, we are in Brazil."
Commenting on Venezuelan television, Maradona admitted there was a case for a penalty, but said Brazil got lucky.
"They say it wasn`t a penalty, though for me there was contact. But Fred made a meal of it. Brazil will have to improve a lot if they want to win the Cup," said the 1986 world champion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video