British press says sloppy England found out
London: England are simply not good enough to compete against the best teams and are just too sloppy to pull off their new expansive approach, Britain`s press said Friday.
Following at 2-1 defeat to Uruguay in Sao Paulo on Thursday that left their World Cup hopes relying on other results, England have shown they cannot handle the pressure when faced with serious opposition, national newspapers said.
Wayne Rooney scored for Roy Hodgson`s England, between two emphatically-finished goals by Uruguay`s Luis Suarez.
England`s loss came after their opening 2-1 defeat to Italy in Manaus and now their tournament in Brazil rests on Italy beating Uruguay and Costa Rica, and England beating the Central Americans by a sufficient scoreline to qualify from Group D.
The Daily Mail said England`s defensive frailty had been their undoing, leaving the team unable to handle the World Cup pressure.
"Sloppy, intimidated, scared," said the tabloid.
"England will need to be the first team in World Cup history to lose their opening two games and go through, if they are to qualify," the tabloid said.
"It won`t happen, most likely, because there is no guarantee England can win, even against Costa Rica, with a defence that cannot be trusted, not even for five minutes.
"Suarez did the damage, but England were struggling for most of the game. Their performance had been stilted and blunt as the first against Italy was enterprising and zesty. Simply, they could not handle the pressure. Chances were wasted, tackles were missed, the defence and goalkeeper were on edge from the start."
"Another one bites the dust", said The Sun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!