Cameroon fall to Paraguay in World Cup friendly
Kufstein: Cameroon`s preparations for next month`s World Cup took a knock when the Africans fell 2-1 to Paraguay in a pre-tournament friendly in Kufstein on Thursday.
Volker Finke`s men had secured a 2-0 win over Macedonia in Austria earlier this week as they build towards the World Cup, which they begin against Mexico on June 13.
But they were trailing early on Thursday after forward Oscar Romero put the South Americans ahead after just four minutes with Malaga striker Roque Santa Cruz netting a second after 68 minutes.
Mainz striker Maxim Choupo-Moting, who also scored against Macedonia, pulled one back 15 minutes from time for Cameroon who are reportedly locked in a battle with their federation over bonuses for the tournament.
The Africans are in a tough World Group Group A with hosts and favourites Brazil, Croatia and Mexico as they bid to qualify for the knockout stages for the first time since 1990.
But with their provisional 28-man squad to be cut to 23 by June 2 they showed problems in defence with Nicolas N`Koulou and Joel Matip in a central role, supported by Allan Nyom and Gaetan Bong on either side failing to provide the necessary guarantees.
Samuel Eto`o, who remained on the bench Thursday as planned, is expected play at least 20 minutes against Germany on Sunday.
Paraguay have not qualified for the World Cup with their focus on the 2015 Copa America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed