Champions Spain fail Dutch test in 2014 FIFA World Cup
Zee Media Bureau
Salvador: Defending champions Spain suffered the ignominy of losing their opening World Cup match for the second successive edition as a superb Holland outfit scored at will. The Group B opener at Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador on Friday witnessed Vicente del Bosque`s side conceding five goals to one.
The Netherlands, who lost to Spain in the 2010 World Cup final in Johannesburg, scored four of those goals in the second half after their skipper Robin van Persie found the equaliser in the dying minutes of the first half with a superb, flying header.
Earlier, Xabi Alonso had scored for the World and European champions from the spot following a contentious penalty won by Diego Costa. RVP himself scored another goal and became the first Dutch player to score in three World Cups. The win also keep their unbeaten record in the opening match at a World Cup since 1938.
However, it was Spain`s second heaviest World Cup defeat ever after the 6-1 defeat to Brazil in the 1950 edition. In fact, by leaking five goals, Spain have conceded more goals in one match than in their last 10 outings at World Cups and European Championships combined.
The only goal Spain conceded in their previous 10 matches was against Italy in the Euro 2012 group stage. Besides, it was Spain`s fourth defeat under del Bosque.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!