Coach Sabella hopes Di Maria gets fit for semis
Brasilia: Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella said here Saturday that he hoped Angel Di Maria would be fit to play in Wednesday`s semi-final.
During Argentina`s 1-0 win over Belgium in the World Cup quarter-final, Di Maria suffered a thigh injury and had to be substituted in the 33rd minute, reports Xinhua.
"The Real Madrid midfielder will undergo tests Sunday," said Sabella.
"We lost one player and hope it won`t be too much in the case of Angel."
"He is vital to us, but the players played an excellent match from a tactical and strategic point of view: the idea of giving and not receiving in order to create a virtuous circle. We want more, but we lived up to the objective, which was to be a part of the final four of the best teams in the world," he said.
Gonzalo Higuain, who scored the winner in today`s match and became the Man-of-the-Match, also spoke highly of Di Maria.
"He`s part of the starting eleven and is very helpful," Higuain said.
"I`m really sorry that he left, but we will join forces and hope he will be ready as soon as possible. We know what he represents for the team."
A delighted Sabella said: "After 24 years, we can be among the four best teams in the world. So as you can tell, this is a huge, but moderate joy. We have to reserve our energy."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan