Dutch can improve on Spain rout, says Van Gaal
Salvador: Louis van Gaal believes his Netherlands side can still improve on their historic 5-1 drubbing of Spain in their World Cup opener on Friday.
Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben both scored twice as Holland avenged their 2010 World Cup final defeat by routing the holders in emphatic style.
Spain suffered their heaviest World Cup defeat and their worst loss since being drubbed 6-2 by Scotland in 1963.
"That wasn`t what you expect from your first World Cup match, I had expected the manner of the goals, but not that many," admitted the Dutch coach.
"It`s everything to do with strategy and the willingness of the players to convert their chances with conviction."
The future Manchester United manager was adamant when asked if his side can improve on their stunning display.
"Yes, without a shadow of a doubt, you could see that in the last 20 minutes when we started to play the ball around," said Van Gaal.
"This result gives the players confidence and I expect us to play better."
Veteran midfielder Xabi Alonso gave the Spanish a first-half lead when he netted a contentious penalty before the Dutch fought back.
Van Persie`s diving header 90 seconds from the break put the Dutch level before the Manchester United star added his side`s fourth.
Robben showed his class with two well-taken goals while Ajax defender Stefan de Vrij chipped in with another as the Spanish defence collapsed.
But Van Gaal urged caution despite the sensational result.
"We have experienced enough players to make sure we don`t lose ourselves in euphoria and we also have technical staff to make sure that doesn`t happen," said the 62-year-old.
"We were so sure the way Spain would attack, but it worked out better than expected.
"I, we, the Dutch staff made sure our team was fit, we knew with this heat and humidity, you need to be fit.
"You can`t play hard, attacking football for the whole 90 minutes in those conditions, so we made sure we played compact football and used our centre-forwards.
"If you sprint forward on the counter, things can happen, you can get goals -- as we saw."
Van Gaal said he does not expect his side to claim another haul of goals in their next game against Australia in Porto Alegro on Wednesday.
"The Australians can play defensively and that will make it an entirely different match," he said.
Van Gaal will take over as manager at Old Trafford after the World Cup and he admitted being touched when United star Van Persie sprinted towards him after his equaliser.
"A player doesn`t have to do that, he can go to his fellow players, it`s just appreciation, but it was wonderful and it was emotional," admitted Van Gaal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in