FIFA World Cup 2014: Ronaldo's magic rescues Portugal, Algeria thrash Korea
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: It was proving to be a tough match for Portugal, before their captain Cristiano Ronaldo came to their rescue against United States, while Belgium earned a hard-fought 1-0 win against Russia to enter the last-16 from group H.
In the third match, Algeria beat South Korea 4-2 and kept their hopes alive.
Portugal will now have to defeat Ghana by a big margin in their last group league game hoping that the match between United States and Germany doesn`t end in a draw, in order to qualify for the Round of 16. While Germany and the US are on four points, Portugal and Ghana have a point each.
Despite getting an early lead in the fifth minute, the Portugal fans faced several anxious moments before Ronaldo`s left-footed pass was converted into a goal by substitute striker Silvestre Varela, with just 30 seconds remaining.
Meanwhile, in the first match of the day, young substitute Divock Origi made full use of a beautiful pass from Chelsea star Eden Hazard in the 88th minute, as Belgium defeated Russia 1-0 making it to the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time since Italia`90.
While Belgium had to struggle for their win, Algeria defeated South Korea convincingly. Algeria took a huge lead of 3-0 in the first half and even though the Koreans fought back by scoring two goals in the second half, Algeria won their best match in World Cup history 4-2.
After their comprehensive victory, Algeria are ranked second in Group H behind Belgium, with Russia and the Koreans trailing on one point apiece.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city