FIFA World Cup 2014: Ronaldo's magic rescues Portugal, Algeria thrash Korea
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: It was proving to be a tough match for Portugal, before their captain Cristiano Ronaldo came to their rescue against United States, while Belgium earned a hard-fought 1-0 win against Russia to enter the last-16 from group H.
In the third match, Algeria beat South Korea 4-2 and kept their hopes alive.
Portugal will now have to defeat Ghana by a big margin in their last group league game hoping that the match between United States and Germany doesn`t end in a draw, in order to qualify for the Round of 16. While Germany and the US are on four points, Portugal and Ghana have a point each.
Despite getting an early lead in the fifth minute, the Portugal fans faced several anxious moments before Ronaldo`s left-footed pass was converted into a goal by substitute striker Silvestre Varela, with just 30 seconds remaining.
Meanwhile, in the first match of the day, young substitute Divock Origi made full use of a beautiful pass from Chelsea star Eden Hazard in the 88th minute, as Belgium defeated Russia 1-0 making it to the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time since Italia`90.
While Belgium had to struggle for their win, Algeria defeated South Korea convincingly. Algeria took a huge lead of 3-0 in the first half and even though the Koreans fought back by scoring two goals in the second half, Algeria won their best match in World Cup history 4-2.
After their comprehensive victory, Algeria are ranked second in Group H behind Belgium, with Russia and the Koreans trailing on one point apiece.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'