FIFA World Cup: Italy vs Uruguay - Preview
Natal (Brazil): Italy will take on Uruguay at the Estadio das Dunas here on Tuesday to decide which team will accompany Costa Rica to the FIFA World Cup Round of 16 from Group D.
While only a draw will mean Italy’s qualification, Uruguay will have to win to advance, reports EFE.
Italy’s problems worsened after a surprise 0-1 loss to Costa Rica as an injured Daniele de Rossi will not play against Uruguay. Marco Veratti is expected to replace him.
However, coach Cesare Prandelli will relish the return of left back Mattia de Sciglio while Mario Balotelli and Ciro Immobile will play in attack. Azzurri will want to qualify as they were eliminated in 2010, when they were title holders, from the group stages.
Azzurri’s task will not be easy as Uruguay, boosted by the return of Luis Suarez and his brace against England, will look to win to advance in the tournament where they finished fourth four years ago.
“We will not make any changes. All we need is to win. This is our only choice,” said Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez.
Two-time winners Uruguay will want to avenge their 2013 Confederations Cup third-place penalty shootout defeat against Italy, as the match ended 2-2.
The teams have met twice in World Cup, drawing 0-0 in 1970 while Italy won 2-0 in 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened