FIFA World Cup: Pepe banned and fined for Mueller headbutt
Rio de Janeiro: FIFA on Thursday banned Portugal defender Pepe for one match and fined him for the head butt he carried out on Germany`s Thomas Mueller in their World Cup clash.
A FIFA statement said that the 31-year-old Real Madrid defender, who was red-carded for the incident, had been fined 15,000 Swiss francs (12,300 euros).
Pepe`s arm caught Mueller during Monday`s Group H match and the German fell to the ground grimacing. Pepe infuriated at what he considered Mueller`s playacting then pushed his head onto the German`s forehead and got an immediate red card.
Germany, already leading 2-0, went on to win 4-0.
Uruguay`s Maxi Pereira, already banned for his red card against Costa Rica in their Group D game on Saturday was fined 10,000 Swiss francs (8,200 euros).
Pereira kicked Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell towards the end of the game and now misses his country`s crucial game against England on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi