FIFA World Cup: Pepe banned and fined for Mueller headbutt
Rio de Janeiro: FIFA on Thursday banned Portugal defender Pepe for one match and fined him for the head butt he carried out on Germany`s Thomas Mueller in their World Cup clash.
A FIFA statement said that the 31-year-old Real Madrid defender, who was red-carded for the incident, had been fined 15,000 Swiss francs (12,300 euros).
Pepe`s arm caught Mueller during Monday`s Group H match and the German fell to the ground grimacing. Pepe infuriated at what he considered Mueller`s playacting then pushed his head onto the German`s forehead and got an immediate red card.
Germany, already leading 2-0, went on to win 4-0.
Uruguay`s Maxi Pereira, already banned for his red card against Costa Rica in their Group D game on Saturday was fined 10,000 Swiss francs (8,200 euros).
Pereira kicked Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell towards the end of the game and now misses his country`s crucial game against England on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday