FIFA World Cup: Pepe banned and fined for Mueller headbutt
Rio de Janeiro: FIFA on Thursday banned Portugal defender Pepe for one match and fined him for the head butt he carried out on Germany`s Thomas Mueller in their World Cup clash.
A FIFA statement said that the 31-year-old Real Madrid defender, who was red-carded for the incident, had been fined 15,000 Swiss francs (12,300 euros).
Pepe`s arm caught Mueller during Monday`s Group H match and the German fell to the ground grimacing. Pepe infuriated at what he considered Mueller`s playacting then pushed his head onto the German`s forehead and got an immediate red card.
Germany, already leading 2-0, went on to win 4-0.
Uruguay`s Maxi Pereira, already banned for his red card against Costa Rica in their Group D game on Saturday was fined 10,000 Swiss francs (8,200 euros).
Pereira kicked Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell towards the end of the game and now misses his country`s crucial game against England on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites