Five statistics from FIFA World Cup 2014 so far
Natal, Brazil: The World Cup`s opening group games have produced several record-breaking moments in a scintillating start to the tournament. Here are five such moments.
1. The first 16 games produced 49 goals, an average of 3.06 per game.
The scoring spree has made this World Cup one of the most exciting in memory and it is on track to be the highest scoring since the 1958 finals in Sweden which averaged 3.60 goals.
Hosts Brazil helped push up the tally with a 3-1 victory against Croatia while Germany`s 4-0 win over Portugal in their opener boosted the total.
So far the Dutch have netted the most in a match, thrashing Spain 5-1 in the tournament`s highest scoring game. Only one match has so far finished goalless - Iran v Nigeria.
The 1998 World Cup in France produced 171 goals, the most overall in a tournament.
2. Clint Dempsey scores fifth-fastest World Cup goal
The United States captain shocked Ghana 30 seconds into the match when he slammed a left-footed shot in off the post in their Group G opener.
The strike, behind Bryan Robson`s goal in 27 seconds for England in 1982 and ahead of Emile Veinante`s 35-second goal for France in 1938, also made Dempsey the first American to score in three World Cups.
The fastest goal at a World Cup was scored after 11 seconds by Turkey`s Hakan Sukur against hosts South Korea in 2002 in the third-place playoff match.
3. Six come from behind wins in the first 16 games
The see-saw action has shown that no lead is safe. Brazil fell behind to an own goal to Croatia to start tournament but fought back for a 3-1 win.
World champions Spain opened the scoring with a Xabi Alonso penalty before Robin Van Persie led a Dutch fightback.
Costa Rica recovered to shock Uruguay, Switzerland regrouped to defeat Ecuador in stoppage time and the Ivory Coast rebounded to beat Japan. Belgium came from behind to win against Algeria.
4. Germany become first team to play 100 World Cup games
Germany became the first side to play 100 matches as the three-time champions strolled to a 4-0 victory against Portugal.
Germany boast a record of 61 wins, 19 draws and 20 defeats while scoring 210 goals and conceding 117. They won the World Cup in 1954, 1974 and 1990.
5. Juergen Klinsmann maintains undefeated opening day record
United States coach Klinsmann preserved his record of having won the opening match at every World Cup he has competed in as a player and coach after a last-gasp 2-1 victory against Ghana.
Klinsmann played for Germany at the 1990, `94 and `98 World Cups and guided them to third spot at the 2006 finals on home soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!