Football World Cup 2014: Robben breaks 2010 final hoodoo, RVP shines
Zee Media Bureau/Rajdeep Saha
New Delhi: Dutch talismans Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie started their World Cup campaign in style as both displayed brilliant execution against Spain in the 5-1 rout on Friday.
After Brazil`s Neymar kicked off the mega event in an emphatic fashion in the opener against Croatia, the Netherlands duo continued the fire by producing a magical display.
Arjen Robben was instrumental behind Holland`s resurgence and he broke the 2010 finale hoodoo against the world and European champions. Robben could have won his side the 2010 World Cup in South Africa but was thwarted by Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas just after the hour mark in a one-on-one situation. Spain scored through Andres Iniesta at extra-time and it handed them the title.
But this time the Bayern Munich winger scored a brace and also set up a beautiful chance for Wesley Sneijder who missed a sitter early on. Robben`s first goal was sublime. He collected a beautiful pinpoint aerial pass from the left, and controlled it to perfection before eluding Gerard Pique and finishing confidently. The second goal was one of the finest in World Cup history. Robben was brilliant in counter-attack, as he outpaced Sergio Ramos and wrapped up the scoring.
Robben had earlier stated that the 2010 incident will always stay with him but with Friday night`s amazing display, he will finally be able to put that to rest.
Manchester United`s Robin van Persie showed the world how much he means for the Orange brigade after continuing in the same fashion as he did in the qualifiers. Robin scored one of his career-best goals after executing Daley Blind`s crossfield pass with an astonishing header that looped over a despairing Casillas. The goal set the platform for Holland`s eventual win.
Both Robben and RVP are the big fishes in Louis van Gaal`s side and will hope to continue in same fashion to help the Dutch go all the way in Rio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened