Merkel selfie delights Germany`s Podolski
Brasilia: Arsenal`s Lukas Podolski delivered on his pre-match promise to get a dressing room photograph with German Chancellor Angela Merkel after Germany`s rout of Portugal at the World Cup finals on Monday.
The 29-year-old Gunners star had previously said he wanted to get a selfie with the German leader who was at Salvador`s Arena Fonte Nova to watch the match which saw Thomas Mueller score a hat-trick.
The German leader visited the team dressing room to congratulate Joachim Loew`s side on their 4-0 win in their opening Group G match and Podolski seized his chance.
"4-0 win, awesome start! And here the promised Selfie with the chancellor," he posted on Twitter with a picture of him beaming alongside Merkel.
Her press spokesman Steffan Seibert later posted a picture on Twitter of Merkel with the entire team.
"Congratulations -- a perfect start to the tournament!" he Tweeted.
Merkel has made a habit of visiting the national team after matches.
Her popularity soared when pictures of her enthusiastically celebrating a World Cup win in 2006 -- which Germany hosted -- were published by daily Bild.
Loew said Merkel`s visit had capped a great day for Germany.
"She gave a little speech to say now nice it was that we won, especially after such a long trip here," said Loew.
"There was a lot of applause.
"We always like it when she comes to see us, she is always a nice guest to have."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter