Messi under too much pressure to guide Argentina to WC glory, claims Maradona
London: Argentine football legend Diego Maradona has claimed that Lionel Messi is under too much pressure to turn their homeland squad into World Cup winners and fears that the striker could crack.
Messi helped Argentina secure a quarterfinal tie with Belgium on Tuesday as he rescued a subdued and frustrated display against Switzerland with the last-gasp run and pass for Angel Di Maria`s winner.
According to the Mirror, Maradona said that Messi is very lonely out on the pitch, adding that he has a very strong feeling about what is happening and can only describe it as bitterness, rage and anger.
The legend said that Messi just does not have enough support from the midfield and is expected to do it all on his own, adding that the team is only playing at 40 percent of its potential, has no change of pace or movement up front and unless that alters, Argentina would go out.
Maradona said that if Argentina does not wake up, they are in trouble and that the danger is that if Messi does not get the help he needs, he would end up being blamed for a catastrophe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported