Ox boost as England head to Brazil
England winger Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain will be fit to take part in the World Cup after making good progress with his knee injury, manager Roy Hodgson said after Saturday`s 0-0 draw with Honduras.
Oxlade-Chamberlain picked up the injury in Wednesday`s 2-2 draw with Ecuador and Hodgson had said he may have to wait until 24 hours before England`s Group D opener against Italy on June 14 before deciding whether the Arsenal wide-man could be part of his squad.
But on Saturday Hodgson took a much more positive tone.
"Everyone is fit. Oxlade-Chamberlain is making good progress. I think he`ll make the tournament without a shadow of a doubt," Hodgson said.
England were relieved to get through a tough encounter with Honduras without picking up any further injuries.
Captain Steven Gerrard was replaced at half-time but said that had been planned before the game due to a slight concern over his groin after Wednesday`s game.
"I had a tight groin in midweek so it was always the plan for me to play just 45 minutes. We`re quite frustrated in the dressing room. We thought the referee was poor, they were doing some stupid fouls.
"Maybe we could have moved the ball a bit quicker, but there were some horrific challenges. I certainly got caught by one," he said.
A 43 minute stoppage midway through the first-half, due to concerns of an electric storm warning, knocked both sides out of their rhythm and the second half was also a largely scrappy affair.
"Honduras were quite physical," said Hodgson, "It was a real stop-start game, one of the most frustrating I`ve been involved in for a long time. We had a long stoppage, I thought we dealt with it and in the second half it was attack versus defence.
"But now it is time for the real thing," he said before England headed off to the airport to catch their flight to Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire