Ox boost as England head to Brazil
England winger Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain will be fit to take part in the World Cup after making good progress with his knee injury, manager Roy Hodgson said after Saturday`s 0-0 draw with Honduras.
Oxlade-Chamberlain picked up the injury in Wednesday`s 2-2 draw with Ecuador and Hodgson had said he may have to wait until 24 hours before England`s Group D opener against Italy on June 14 before deciding whether the Arsenal wide-man could be part of his squad.
But on Saturday Hodgson took a much more positive tone.
"Everyone is fit. Oxlade-Chamberlain is making good progress. I think he`ll make the tournament without a shadow of a doubt," Hodgson said.
England were relieved to get through a tough encounter with Honduras without picking up any further injuries.
Captain Steven Gerrard was replaced at half-time but said that had been planned before the game due to a slight concern over his groin after Wednesday`s game.
"I had a tight groin in midweek so it was always the plan for me to play just 45 minutes. We`re quite frustrated in the dressing room. We thought the referee was poor, they were doing some stupid fouls.
"Maybe we could have moved the ball a bit quicker, but there were some horrific challenges. I certainly got caught by one," he said.
A 43 minute stoppage midway through the first-half, due to concerns of an electric storm warning, knocked both sides out of their rhythm and the second half was also a largely scrappy affair.
"Honduras were quite physical," said Hodgson, "It was a real stop-start game, one of the most frustrating I`ve been involved in for a long time. We had a long stoppage, I thought we dealt with it and in the second half it was attack versus defence.
"But now it is time for the real thing," he said before England headed off to the airport to catch their flight to Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!