Referee easy on Messi: Belgium coach
Brasilia: Belgium coach Marc Wilmots said here Saturday that Italian referee Nicola Rizzou had gone easy on Messi during the World Cup quarterfinal.
Argentina ousted Belgium 1-0 to advance to the semis for the first time in 24 years. Gonzalo Higuain scored the winner in the eighth minute.
Wilmots told the post-game media conference: "I don`t want to be a cry baby, but every time there is a little foul it was always in favour of Argentina. Every time something happened with Messi, the referee gave him a free kick."
"I notice he made three fouls and no yellow card; we made one foul and one yellow card," Wilmots added.
Higuain`s goal came when Belgium centre-back and captain Vincent Kompany was caught out of position.
"We make a small, small mistake - Vincent comes out of position and they score," said Wilmots, adding, "We were not impressed by the Argentinians. They were just an ordinary team. They took 30 seconds to take a throw-in and the referee didn`t do anything."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender