Ronaldo to start for Portugal against Ireland
EAST RUTHERFORD New Jersey: Cristiano Ronaldo was named in the Portugal team on Tuesday for their last warm-up match before the World Cup starts in Brazil.
The World Player of the Year missed his country`s recent friendlies against Greece and Mexico because of problems with his left knee and right thigh.
But the 29-year-old forward was cleared to make his return and start in the friendly against Ireland at New Jersey`s MetLife Stadium.
Midfielder Raul Meireles, who has had a thigh problem, was also named in the team while central defender Pepe, who has been struggling with a leg muscle injury, was among the substitutes.
Ronaldo struggled with minor injuries during the closing weeks of Real Madrid`s season and has not played since the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid, raising concerns about his fitness for the World Cup.
His timely return is a welcome boost for Portugal who are drawn in the same group as Germany, Ghana and the United States for the World Cup, which starts in Brazil on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Mizoram HSLC Board Results 2016 declared: MBSE HSLC Class 10 exam Results available at mbse.edu.in
- One dead, three injured in building collapse in old Delhi
- Prince 'diagnosed with AIDS' months before his death?
- Seer Trikal Bhavanta, who threatened to take 'samadhi' during Simhastha Kumbh, arrested
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever