Shakira, Santana to perform at World Cup final
Rio de Janeiro: Pop star Shakira will perform before the World Cup final in Rio de Janeiro on July 13, headlining a closing ceremony that includes guitar virtuoso Carlos Santana and rapper Wyclef Jean.
Shakira, who is making her third straight World Cup appearance, will sing "La la la (Brazil 2014)" with Brazilian star Carlinhos Brown, FIFA said in a statement yesterday.
Santana, Wyclef and Brazilian singer Alexandre Pires will perform the tournament`s official anthem, "Dar Um Jeito" at the legendary Maracana Stadium.
Pires will also perform a medley of local music with Brazilian star Ivete Sangalo. "I`m thrilled to be performing my song `La la la (Brazil 2014)` at the 2014 FIFA World Cup closing ceremony," said Shakira, who had a son last year with Spain defender Gerard Pique.
"I have an intricate relationship with football for obvious reasons, and I truly understand what the World Cup means to so many people, myself included."
While FIFA announced the musical lineup, eight teams are left battling for two spots at the Maracana, but defending champions Spain were already eliminated in the group phase. Shakira`s native Colombia will play Brazil in the quarter-final on Friday following France-Germany. On Saturday, Argentina play Belgium followed by Netherlands-Costa Rica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people