Shakira, Santana to perform at World Cup final
Rio de Janeiro: Pop star Shakira will perform before the World Cup final in Rio de Janeiro on July 13, headlining a closing ceremony that includes guitar virtuoso Carlos Santana and rapper Wyclef Jean.
Shakira, who is making her third straight World Cup appearance, will sing "La la la (Brazil 2014)" with Brazilian star Carlinhos Brown, FIFA said in a statement yesterday.
Santana, Wyclef and Brazilian singer Alexandre Pires will perform the tournament`s official anthem, "Dar Um Jeito" at the legendary Maracana Stadium.
Pires will also perform a medley of local music with Brazilian star Ivete Sangalo. "I`m thrilled to be performing my song `La la la (Brazil 2014)` at the 2014 FIFA World Cup closing ceremony," said Shakira, who had a son last year with Spain defender Gerard Pique.
"I have an intricate relationship with football for obvious reasons, and I truly understand what the World Cup means to so many people, myself included."
While FIFA announced the musical lineup, eight teams are left battling for two spots at the Maracana, but defending champions Spain were already eliminated in the group phase. Shakira`s native Colombia will play Brazil in the quarter-final on Friday following France-Germany. On Saturday, Argentina play Belgium followed by Netherlands-Costa Rica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city