Suarez scores brace as Uruguay beat England 2-1 in World Cup
Sao Paulo: Luis Suarez made a sensational return to action by scoring a brace to lift Uruguay past England with a 2-1 victory at the World Cup in Sao Paulo on Thursday.
The victory resurrects Uruguay`s last 16 hopes following the 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica in their Group D opener.
England, for whom Wayne Rooney scored his first World Cup goal, are now on the brink of World Cup elimination with two defeats out of two.
Including their 4-1 defeat to Germany at the last tournament, it`s the first time England have lost three World Cup games in a row.
Unsurprisingly given both sides knew a defeat would all but end their hopes of reaching the knock-out stages, this game took its time to catch fire after a nervous opening.
Rooney headed a Steven Gerrard cross against the woodwork from point blank range after dipping a free-kick just past the upright, while at the other end Cristian Rodriguez flashed a sizzling drive just over the bar.
Cavani created the opener on 39 minutes despite being crowded by England players, looking up and spotting Suarez peeling off behind Phil Jagielka to head home.
For a moment England were on the rocks but in the second half they gradually turned up the heat.
Rooney had a shot from 12 yards saved by Fernando Muslera, who also denied Daniel Sturridge.
But he could do nothing when Sturridge played in Glen Johnson to cross for Rooney to tap home into an empty net at the back post 15 minutes from the end.
Yet Suarez had the last laugh five minutes from time, gambling to latch onto a flick on and thrash the ball high past Joe Hart in the England goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM