Tabarez set to quit as Uruguay boss in protest against Suarez`s ban

ANI| Last Updated: Jun 28, 2014, 15:27 PM IST

London: Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has said that he would resign from two FIFA posts in protest at the excessive harshness of striker Luis Suarez`s ban.

Tabarez said that it is not wise to be in an organisation with those who exerted pressure to promote the decision against Suarez.

According to the BBC, Tabarez said that Suarez had been made a `scapegoat` following his punishment for a third incident of biting, and claimed that the ban was more focused on the opinions of the media.

Tabarez said that they know the mistakes Suarez has made, but there is another side to the striker, adding that the severity was excessive.

The coach said that many times one forgets that the scapegoat is a person, who has rights.

Suarez has been banned from all football-related activity for four months, suspended for Uruguay`s next nine internationals and fined 1,00,000 Swiss francs for biting Giorgio Chiellini `s shoulder during Uruguay`s 1-0 win over Italy on Tuesday, the report added.