This is the end of an era: Xabi Alonso
Rio de Janeiro: Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted that his side has lost its way after being eliminated by Chile from the group stage of the FIFA World Cup, adding that it is the end of an era.
The defending champions were knocked out of the tournament after losing 0-2 to Chile at the Maracana Stadium here Wednesday, reports EFE.
“In football, the end of an era is usually signalled by a defeat. Maybe now is the time to start thinking about making changes,” said Alonso.
The 32-year-old Real Madrid player said that they have to start thinking about making changes to bring back the hunger needed to fight and win. He added that the team was not mentally or physically ready for the tournament.
“We have not been able to maintain our hunger and the conviction we needed to make a serious attempt at defending the trophy. The happiness we experience in the past and all of the successes are over. In terms of football, we made a lot of mistakes. We have lost our ways and the ability to be ourselves on the pitch,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar