This is the end of an era: Xabi Alonso
Rio de Janeiro: Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted that his side has lost its way after being eliminated by Chile from the group stage of the FIFA World Cup, adding that it is the end of an era.
The defending champions were knocked out of the tournament after losing 0-2 to Chile at the Maracana Stadium here Wednesday, reports EFE.
“In football, the end of an era is usually signalled by a defeat. Maybe now is the time to start thinking about making changes,” said Alonso.
The 32-year-old Real Madrid player said that they have to start thinking about making changes to bring back the hunger needed to fight and win. He added that the team was not mentally or physically ready for the tournament.
“We have not been able to maintain our hunger and the conviction we needed to make a serious attempt at defending the trophy. The happiness we experience in the past and all of the successes are over. In terms of football, we made a lot of mistakes. We have lost our ways and the ability to be ourselves on the pitch,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31