Uruguay media hail killer king Luis
Montevideo: Luis Suarez was hailed as a king and a killer by Uruguay media on Friday after his two goals gave his side a crucial 2-1 World Cup win over England.
"He came back and killed," was the headline of El Pais on its front page dedicated to the Premier League`s top scorer who had missed the opening 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica with a knee injury.
"His majesty Luis IX .... silenced the English and revived Uruguay," added the newspaper in reference to the Liverpool star`s shirt number with the national team.
"Suarez and his 10 teammates made the impossible possible with pride, courage and self-esteem."
Uruguay`s victory coincided with the 250th anniversary of the birth of Jose Artigas, one of Uruguay`s greatest national heroes.
That prompted both El Pais and El Observador to anoint Suarez as a new national hero.
"Uruguay showed its character. There is still a long way to go but it was a triumph which made an impression," said El Observador who praised Suarez as a "beast".
"God save the charrua king (the indigenous Uruguayans)," added La Republica.
"The worst fears of the English were confirmed last night. An assassination took place and there was no doubt about the killer`s identity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends