We need to take the next step now: Loew
Rio de Janeiro: Germany coach Joachim Loew refused to look beyond the semi-finals after his team reached the last four at the World Cup by defeating France 1-0 in the quarter-finals Friday.
A first half header from Mats Hummels at the Maracana Stadium here was enough to book a clash against Brazil, who later went on to beat Colombia 2-1 in Belo Horizonte Friday.
"In the last four World Cups we`ve reached the semi-finals. That is a good achievement but we now need to take the next step. Both teams played well defensively. There weren`t many goal scoring opportunities which was part of our plan," Loew said.
"We didn`t want to give France chances with the quality of strikers they possess. We closed them down well and that was the key."
France coach Didier Deschamps rued his team`s missed chances but hoped the experience served as a lesson for future tournaments.
"Although our adventure in Brazil ends here and we`re sad, disappointed and frustrated, we`ll move on. I hope this group of players can play together for a long time. I have a lot of work to do with them but things are definitely promising. We`ll need to maintain this momentum and quality," he said.
Hummels, whose goal came after a precise Toni Kroos free-kick, talked about Germany`s chances of progressing to the final July 13.
"We`re playing the type of football that will give us the chance to win. We`re defending well with passion and that needs to be intensified with every coming match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram