World Cup absence makes me sad: Lionel Messi
London: Barcelona star Lionel Messi has expressed his anguish at being without a World Cup winners` medal in his trophy cabinet.
The Argentina forward, who turns 26 on Monday, has won four Ballon d`Or in a row but he stressed that what he really craves is the greatest prize in international football to add to his silverware collection.
"Between a fifth Ballon d`Or and a World Cup with Argentina, I`d want the latter, without a doubt," he told Corriere della Sera.
"I`m missing a World Cup; it makes me sad," he said.
Despite widely being considered as the best footballer on the planet right now, Messi`s record-breaking antics fall on deaf ears at home with his girlfriend Antonella, and the Blaugrana star admitted that he does not watch much of the sport he excels at.
He added: "I never watch football on television. Antonella gets bored with it. I come home and tell her I scored two or three goals, and she doesn`t even hear me!"
Messi is currently recovering from a hamstring injury that saw him only appear intermittently in the final two months of Barcelona`s Liga-winning 2012-13 campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- PMO counters criticism on 'rehashed' schemes under Narendra Modi government
- Watch: NASA releases 'Metabolomics: You Are What You Eat' video!
- Women's World Boxing Championship: Sonia Lather settles for silver, loses to Italian Alessia Mesiano in 57kg final
- 'The Jungle Book' rakes in moolah at Box Office, all set to cross Rs 200 crore in India!
- HDFC among world's top 10 consumer financial services firms