World Cup absence makes me sad: Lionel Messi
London: Barcelona star Lionel Messi has expressed his anguish at being without a World Cup winners` medal in his trophy cabinet.
The Argentina forward, who turns 26 on Monday, has won four Ballon d`Or in a row but he stressed that what he really craves is the greatest prize in international football to add to his silverware collection.
"Between a fifth Ballon d`Or and a World Cup with Argentina, I`d want the latter, without a doubt," he told Corriere della Sera.
"I`m missing a World Cup; it makes me sad," he said.
Despite widely being considered as the best footballer on the planet right now, Messi`s record-breaking antics fall on deaf ears at home with his girlfriend Antonella, and the Blaugrana star admitted that he does not watch much of the sport he excels at.
He added: "I never watch football on television. Antonella gets bored with it. I come home and tell her I scored two or three goals, and she doesn`t even hear me!"
Messi is currently recovering from a hamstring injury that saw him only appear intermittently in the final two months of Barcelona`s Liga-winning 2012-13 campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi