World Cup qualifiers: Netherlands maintain 100% record
Netherlands have recorded a 3-0 win over Estonia in Friday evening`s 2014 World Cup qualifier at the Amsterdam ArenA.
Louis van Gaal`s men were unable to break the deadlock before the break, but Rafael van der Vaart gifted Holland the lead only minutes into the second half. Oranje continued to dominate after the opener and Robin van Persie eventually made it two, before Ruben Schaken secured the points.
The home side started the match with attacking intentions, yet struggled to create any chances of note early in the game as Estonia defended well. Wesley Sneijder tried his luck from long range twice, but his first attempt went over the crossbar while his second shot lacked power.
Oranje first looked dangerous around the half-hour mark when Daley Blind found Van Persie with a fine cross from the left. The striker then set up Sneijder, who fired wide from inside the area.
An Arjen Robben free-kick shortly after almost led to the opener, but Sergei Pareiko was alert and kept the ball out. The Bayern man again threatened minutes later when he danced past two opponents, only to aim just wide from a narrow angle.
Van Persie had by then already seen a goal disallowed for offside, while Robben saw his cheeky lob cancelled for the same reason.
Estonia were initially happy to sit back and defend, yet they came close to grabbing the lead in the closing minutes of the first half. Sander Puri cut inside from the right before setting up Konstantin Vassiljev in the centre of the pitch. The midfielder blasted a powerful shot toward the Dutch goal, which was only just parried by Kenneth Vermeer, who also kept out the rebound.
But the Dutch started the second half superbly and needed only two minutes to break the deadlock. Daryl Janmaat charged forward down the right and reached substitute Van der Vaart with a low pass inside the area. The HSV man controlled the ball with his back to goal and turned before beating Pareiko with a low shot.
Van Persie could have doubled Oranje`s lead only moments later after a superb cross from Van der Vaart, but his header lacked both power and accuracy. The former Arsenal man again failed to find the net at the hour mark, when his right-footed shot from close range went over the cross-bar after some good work from Janmaat.
Nevertheless, the prolific forward got his goal at last in the 72nd minute. Once again Janmaat sent in a dangerous cross from the right, and the unmarked Van Persie volleyed home from five yards out.
Estonia should have pegged one back 10 minutes before the final whistle when Martin Vunk was clean through on goal after a superb pass from Vassiljev. However, the Sillamae Kalev midfielder failed under pressure and blasted his shot over.
Holland poured even more salt in the guests` wounds in the closing stages of the game. A Van Persie cross fell to Schaken at the far post, and the Feyenoord winger had no trouble finding the net from a narrow angle.
The result leaves Netherlands top of their group with 15 points from five games, with their next match at home against Romania on Tuesday.
Estonia sit fifth in Group D with three points from five encounters. They take on Andorra on March 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm