World Cup stadium workers in 18-hour shifts: Union
Manaus: Workers at Brazil`s Arena da Amazonia World Cup stadium, where two laborers died Saturday, are being subjected to 18-hour shifts, a union official said Monday.
The revelations came less than a day after a labour court halted work at the stadium pending a probe into alleged breaches of health and safety standards, reported Xinhua
"We have people starting work at 7 a.m. and leaving at 1 a.m. the next day. This is wrong, it`s a crime," said Cicero Custodio, president of the Sintracomec union.
"They (the organisers) don`t want to know about the health and safety of the workers. They only want to deliver the stadium on time."
Marcleudo de Melo Ferreira, 22, died early Saturday after falling 35m from the stadium`s roof.
Hours later, Jose Nascimento, 49, died of a heart attack at another part of the stadium`s complex.
Family members later said Nascimento had been suffering stress due to a seven-day-a-week work schedule.
Labour court Judge Maria Nely Bezerra de Oliveira revealed that inspectors had reported 114 health and safety infractions at the stadium since construction work began.
Another worker died after falling off scaffolding at the venue in March.
"We have witnessed the repeated non-compliance of work laws," Oliveira said.
"Now with the death of yet another worker, we believe it is time to take action to prevent further tragedy."
Stadium construction firm Andrade Gutierrez could not be immediately reached for comment.
The company previously said it would fully cooperate with authorities investigating the workers` deaths.
Arena da Amazonia, located in the Amazonian city of Manaus in Brazil`s north, will host four World Cup matches next June and July.
It is one of six stadiums yet to be ready for football`s signature event, despite a December deadline imposed by world football`s governing body FIFA.
Saturday incidents take to six the number of worker deaths at Brazil`s World Cup stadiums.
Earlier this month, two died when a crane collapsed at Sao Paulo`s Itaquerao stadium.
And in June last year a 21-year-old labourer plunged 30m to his death at the Estadio Nacional in Brazil`s capital Brasilia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note