Would remain in Churchill if I am given free hand: Bhowmick
Kolkata: Having guided Churchill Brothers to I-League title, coach Subhash Bhowmick on Tuesday stated that he would only agree to renew his contract if club boss Churchill Alemao gives him a "free hand."
Showing the contract in a media interaction here today, Bhowmick said,"I never said I did not want to stay with the club. My dream is to win the AFC Cup."
"For this, I want to retain the side and want the club to bring back (Leabanese recruit) Bilal Najjarin. I want to build my team. I don`t want anything more than that. If the club officials agree, I would sign the contract. I have come here taking a leave. I`m tired now," Bhowmick said.
Bhowmick however said he would "think" if any other team approaches him with a fresh offer for the upcoming season.
Talking at a meet the press organised by the Calcutta Sports Journalists` Club, Bhowmick criticised AIFF`s proposal to make the change in the I-League format.
"The I-League`s beauty will be lost if they do away with the home-away system. Perhaps the AIFF are not able to generate the money so they were mulling on changing the format."
"I-League is the best thing to have happened for Indian football. It`s competitive to the core and has many challenges like travelling.”
"Winning the marathon league is very satisfying," Bhowmick said rating the 2012-13 triumph ahead of the two NFL victories with East Bengal.
Bhowmick however termed the ASEAN Club Championship triumph in 2003 as the best moment in his coaching career.
The big-spending Kolkata clubs as they were yet to win the I-League after it was introduced in 2007 and Bhowmick said the fans` expectation play a role here.
"Here there`s the pressure of winning the I-League, Federation Cup, local league and so many tournaments. You have to set your priorities."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31