Xabi Alonso set to get two-year extension at Real Madrid
London: Real Madrid player Xabi Alonso will reportedly be offered a two-year contract extension by his club in a bid to prevent him from returning to his former side Liverpool, following claims from Alonso that he wanted to leave Madrid at the end of the season.
According to sources, the midfielder, who has been in a fine form this season, will be offered a pay rise along with two more years at the Bernabeu in addition to the remaining one year on his current contract at Madrid, the Mirror reports.
The report further said that the Spanish giants have been on the alert to the chance of the footballer going to Liverpool after Alonso told club bosses that he wanted to leave at the end of this season.
According to the report, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is also weighing up a move for the former Anfield favourite.
Meanwhile, Liverpool have told Newcastle will have to come up with 17 million pounds in cash if they want to take striker Andy Carroll back, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog