Xabi Alonso set to get two-year extension at Real Madrid
London: Real Madrid player Xabi Alonso will reportedly be offered a two-year contract extension by his club in a bid to prevent him from returning to his former side Liverpool, following claims from Alonso that he wanted to leave Madrid at the end of the season.
According to sources, the midfielder, who has been in a fine form this season, will be offered a pay rise along with two more years at the Bernabeu in addition to the remaining one year on his current contract at Madrid, the Mirror reports.
The report further said that the Spanish giants have been on the alert to the chance of the footballer going to Liverpool after Alonso told club bosses that he wanted to leave at the end of this season.
According to the report, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is also weighing up a move for the former Anfield favourite.
Meanwhile, Liverpool have told Newcastle will have to come up with 17 million pounds in cash if they want to take striker Andy Carroll back, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says