Xabi Alonso set to get two-year extension at Real Madrid
London: Real Madrid player Xabi Alonso will reportedly be offered a two-year contract extension by his club in a bid to prevent him from returning to his former side Liverpool, following claims from Alonso that he wanted to leave Madrid at the end of the season.
According to sources, the midfielder, who has been in a fine form this season, will be offered a pay rise along with two more years at the Bernabeu in addition to the remaining one year on his current contract at Madrid, the Mirror reports.
The report further said that the Spanish giants have been on the alert to the chance of the footballer going to Liverpool after Alonso told club bosses that he wanted to leave at the end of this season.
According to the report, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is also weighing up a move for the former Anfield favourite.
Meanwhile, Liverpool have told Newcastle will have to come up with 17 million pounds in cash if they want to take striker Andy Carroll back, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India