Xavi backs Messi and slams Copa America pitches
Barcelona: Criticism of Lionel Messi following Argentina`s Copa America exit is "totally exaggerated" and having decent pitches would have helped him play better, his Barcelona team mate Xavi said on Wednesday.
"Leo is the best footballer in the world and unfortunately for him when things are not going well (for Argentina) criticism is directed his way," Xavi told a news conference.
"The criticism is totally exaggerated as he had a fantastic Copa America despite the setback of Argentina`s elimination," the Spain playmaker added.
Argentina, who last won the Copa in 1993 and are hosting the current tournament, were slammed in the media after falling to Uruguay in a penalty shootout in the quarter-finals.
As the reigning World Player of the Year, Argentines were looking to Messi to lead them to their first major success since their Copa triumph in Ecuador in 1993.
Xavi said some of the pitches at the Copa were "not at all in good condition" and the situation was "a shame for soccer".
"It`s fundamental that the grass is in good shape," he said.
"On a pitch in bad condition everything becomes more equal, physically, in terms of talent, technically. On a good pitch maybe talent can shine through more."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- PM Modi saved cameraman from being washed away in Gujarat
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium