Xavi backs Messi and slams Copa America pitches
Barcelona: Criticism of Lionel Messi following Argentina`s Copa America exit is "totally exaggerated" and having decent pitches would have helped him play better, his Barcelona team mate Xavi said on Wednesday.
"Leo is the best footballer in the world and unfortunately for him when things are not going well (for Argentina) criticism is directed his way," Xavi told a news conference.
"The criticism is totally exaggerated as he had a fantastic Copa America despite the setback of Argentina`s elimination," the Spain playmaker added.
Argentina, who last won the Copa in 1993 and are hosting the current tournament, were slammed in the media after falling to Uruguay in a penalty shootout in the quarter-finals.
As the reigning World Player of the Year, Argentines were looking to Messi to lead them to their first major success since their Copa triumph in Ecuador in 1993.
Xavi said some of the pitches at the Copa were "not at all in good condition" and the situation was "a shame for soccer".
"It`s fundamental that the grass is in good shape," he said.
"On a pitch in bad condition everything becomes more equal, physically, in terms of talent, technically. On a good pitch maybe talent can shine through more."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir