Xavi Hernandez to stay with Barça though June 2016
Barcelona: Midfielder Xavi Hernandez has signed a contract extension that will keep him with FC Barcelona through June 2016, the club said Monday.
The 33-year-old has been with Barça since the start of his professional career, appearing in a record 659 official matches for the club.
Hernandez signed the two-year extension in the presence of club President Sandro Rosell, Vice President Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta.
"This is a special day because it means I`ll spend more years at Barça, this is where I want to be," Xavi said. "My first choice was always to stay here. The club has made an effort and I am grateful."
Hernandez declined to speculate about how long he will remain with the Catalan club.
"I know how demanding it is but I`d like to stay many more years," he said. "There are many players that are able to play in my position and they`ve shown that they can do it."
"Barça will continue to perform when I`m not around," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas