Xavi Hernandez to stay with Barça though June 2016
Barcelona: Midfielder Xavi Hernandez has signed a contract extension that will keep him with FC Barcelona through June 2016, the club said Monday.
The 33-year-old has been with Barça since the start of his professional career, appearing in a record 659 official matches for the club.
Hernandez signed the two-year extension in the presence of club President Sandro Rosell, Vice President Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta.
"This is a special day because it means I`ll spend more years at Barça, this is where I want to be," Xavi said. "My first choice was always to stay here. The club has made an effort and I am grateful."
Hernandez declined to speculate about how long he will remain with the Catalan club.
"I know how demanding it is but I`d like to stay many more years," he said. "There are many players that are able to play in my position and they`ve shown that they can do it."
"Barça will continue to perform when I`m not around," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional