Xavi insists that Barcelona will give in best for Tito Vilanova
Spain : Barcelona midfielder Xavi has insisted that his team-mates are ready to give their all for incoming coach Tito Vilanova.
The 32 year old vice-captain spoke highly of Pep Guardiola, and while he was quoted as saying that the club was not prepared for the departure of the most successful coach in their history, he remained adamant that the Blaugrana are ready to succeed under Vilanova.
"It is true that I said I was not prepared, but at the time I did not know that the replacement would be Tito. That continuity is good because it will give us the same (methods) as with Pep," Xavi said.
"He (Tito) knows a lot about football, and he has done very well. Now it`s up to him to be the leader. I see him very prepared."
Xavi also spoke of his disappointment at being eliminated from the Champions League semi-finals by Chelsea this season. When asked if that defeat hurt more than the exit to Jose Mourinho`s Inter in 2010, the midfielder replied: "Chelsea, no doubt.”
"It was unfair," he continued. "It was the accumulation of nonsense, missing a penalty, failing with only the goalkeeper ahead of you. They went 2-0 down, a man down, conceded a penalty ... it can happen.”
"Against Chelsea we had it all in our hands. But in any case, it was a very big disappointment."
Xavi is currently training with the Spain squad ahead of Euro 2012. La Roja encounter Italy in their Group C opener on June 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?