Xavi, Messi fire Barcelona past Sevilla
Madrid: A Xavi free kick and an exquisite lob from Lionel Messi fired Barcelona to a 2-0 win at Sevilla that cut Real Madrid`s lead at the top of La Liga back to seven points on Saturday.
Xavi curled a shot over wall after 18 minutes and World Player of the Year Messi bagged his 31st of the league campaign soon after.
The Argentine started the move deep in midfield playing a one-two with Andres Iniesta, he nutmegged a defender as he skipped into the area, and calmly lifted the ball over the advancing Andres Palop.
Having carved a host of first-half chances, however, Barca spent much of the second period pegged back as both goalkeepers Palop and Victor Valdes made top-class saves.
The champions held firm and moved on to 63 points from 27 games.
Jose Mourinho`s Real, on 70 points, can restore their 10-point advantage on Sunday if they can beat fourth-placed Malaga at the Bernabeu.
"We played very well in the first half and we scored two goals and could have got more, but the second half was a different story," Pique said.
"We have done our job now we need to see what happens tomorrow. At least they (Real) go out knowing we are there behind them and we are still in the fight."
Barca coach Pep Guardiola sounded a more pessimistic note when he was asked about the side`s chances of catching Real to win their fourth consecutive league crown.
"You should forget about this league, we aren`t going to win it," he told reporters.
"If there is one thing about this team, it is that it is competitive, but there is another team that has achieved better results than us."
Both sides came out at the start of the match wearing shirts in support of Barcelona`s French defender Eric Abidal, who found out he needed a liver transplant during the week.
When asked about Abidal Barca`s Argentine defender Javier Mascherano told Spanish television: "I don`t like to mix football with things that happen off the pitch, but if the victory serves to give him a lift, all well and good."
Osasuna climbed to fifth with 29 points after grabbing a late equaliser to draw 1-1 at basement side Real Zaragoza.
Portugal striker Helder Postiga had struck from outside the area to give Zaragoza the lead with five minutes to go but three minutes later Osasuna defender Roversio headed in from a corner.
Rayo Vallecano climbed to eighth with 37 points after beating another promoted club Real Betis 3-0 in the late game, with second-half goals from Emiliano Armenteros, Diego Costa and Raul Tamudo
Zaragoza stayed 20th with 19 points, eight short of safety and five behind 19th-placed Sporting Gijon.
Sporting, whose 62-year-old coach Javier Clemente was celebrating his 500th game in La Liga, lost 2-1 at fellow strugglers Granada to first-half strikes from Carlos Martins and Guilherme Siqueira.
Real Sociedad`s Inigo Martinez put the ball in his own net to give Getafe a 1-0 home win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla