Xavi to extend contract with Barcelona
Madrid: Barcelona captain Xavi Hernandez confirmed he is on the point of extending his contract with the Spanish football club till June 2016.
The midfielder, who will be 33-years-old at the start of 2013, said Thursday he is close to agreeing a deal to keep him at the Camp Nou until the end of his career, reports Xinhua.
"I am very happy, it is almost done and I hope to announce it in the next few days," said the Spain international.
"All that needs to be done is to draw up the contract, but I am very happy to be able to stay here until 2016," he added.
Xavi made his first team debut as an 18 year-old and can be considered to be one of the architects of Barca`s passing game, which has become famous all over the world and which has also been adopted by the Spanish national squad, which has won the last two European Championships and the 2010 World Cup.
Meanwhile Barcelona also announced that 21-year-old winger Christian Tello will sign a new contract with the club next Monday. Tello has agreed a deal until June 2016, the same as Xavi.
The Spain Under-21 winger broke into the first team last season and so far has made eight appearances in the Primera Liga as well as playing in the Champions League and the Copa del Rey.
One surprise is that he and the club have agreed to maintain his buyout clause of 10 million Euros, which means his price is still very accessible to any major European club interested in buying him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed