Yakubu stars in United SC win
Kolkata: Yusif Yakubu struck twice in the second-half to help United Sports Club make a stunning comeback and beat Mumbai FC 3-2 in a 116th IFA Shield fixture at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan on Wednesday.
The win enabled United SC to climb to the top of the group D and brighten their semi-final prospects, while Mumbai FC made an exit.
Mumbai FC led 1-0 at halftime with a 25th minute strike by Gbeneme Friday as the home side struggled to convert their chances in the first 45 minutes.
But all the action was confined to second-half that saw four goals including the double by the Ghanaian veteran.
United SC regrouped themselves after the changeover with Denson Devadas earning a 70th minute equaliser, while Yakubu struck in the 77th minute to trail past Mumbai. But Mumbai FC struck back through C Malswamkima to make it 2-2 with 10 minutes left in the match.
Man-of-the-match Yakubu sealed the issue for United SC in the 87th minute with his second goal from a Mohammad Rafique pass to earn a memorable win for the home outfit.
United now have three points, while Aryan and Mumbai FC have one each in group D.
United will take on Aryan on March 10 to decide on the semifinalists from the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack