Yaya Toure named 2013 BBC African Footballer of the Year
London: Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure was named the BBC`s African Footballer of the Year for 2013 on Monday, this being the fifth straight year the Manchester City star had made the shortlist but the first time he`d taken the award.
According to the BBC, Toure, who has scored 13 goals for club and country this year, was the choice of the BBC`s global audience.
He held off competition from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon and Borussia Dortmund), Victor Moses (Nigeria and Liverpool, on loan from Chelsea), John Obi Mikel (Nigeria and Chelsea), and Jonathan Pitroipa (Burkina Faso and Rennes), the report said.
Toure was presented with the award at Manchester City`s Carrington training ground on Monday, the report added.
Toure now has the chance to complete an awards double having been selected among a 25-man shortlist for the African Football Confederation (CAF) African Footballer of the Year for 2013, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters