Yaya Toure named 2013 BBC African Footballer of the Year
London: Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure was named the BBC`s African Footballer of the Year for 2013 on Monday, this being the fifth straight year the Manchester City star had made the shortlist but the first time he`d taken the award.
According to the BBC, Toure, who has scored 13 goals for club and country this year, was the choice of the BBC`s global audience.
He held off competition from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon and Borussia Dortmund), Victor Moses (Nigeria and Liverpool, on loan from Chelsea), John Obi Mikel (Nigeria and Chelsea), and Jonathan Pitroipa (Burkina Faso and Rennes), the report said.
Toure was presented with the award at Manchester City`s Carrington training ground on Monday, the report added.
Toure now has the chance to complete an awards double having been selected among a 25-man shortlist for the African Football Confederation (CAF) African Footballer of the Year for 2013, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax